Going Home: Knowing When It's Time to Leave, Rest, and Return to What Matters


Going Home: Knowing When It's Time to Leave, Rest, and Return to What Matters
🏡🌊

By Angel, Founder of AMC Rise and Thrive


🌅 Sometimes the Best Part of a Trip Is Knowing It's Time to Go Home

Well, friend…

Here we are.

The last day of vacation.

Tomorrow morning, we pack up the rest of our things, load the car, and start the road trip home.

And honestly?

I'm ready.

Don't get me wrong. We had a good time.

A really good time.

We went to the beach. We spent time together. We ate good food. We played games. We worked on puzzles. We laughed. We rested. We even brought the Xbox because apparently we don't believe in leaving civilization behind when we travel. 😂

But eventually, even a good vacation reaches its natural ending.

And maybe that's something we don't talk about enough.

Sometimes the blessing isn't in staying longer.

Sometimes the blessing is recognizing when the season has given you what you needed and being willing to move on.

Tonight, before we leave, we made one last trip to the beach.

One last walk.

One last look at the ocean.

One last chance to stand there and breathe it all in before we turn toward home.

And somehow, that felt like exactly what I needed.


💛 One Last Walk With the Ocean

The weather hasn't exactly cooperated with us these last few days.

We've had quite a bit of rain.

But tonight, we saw an opening.

The clouds gave us just enough room to sneak outside, so we took advantage of it.

We thought the rain might catch us.

Thankfully, it didn't.

We made it back before the storm decided to make its appearance.

Well…

Most of us did.

My son apparently had unfinished business with every puddle between the beach and the unit. 😂

And when I say these were puddles, I mean PUDDLES.

These things looked like swimming pools in the parking lot.

Naturally, my son had to walk through every single one.

Because why would you walk around a giant puddle when you could experience it?

There was something funny and sweet about watching him enjoy something so simple.

No complicated itinerary.

No big attraction.

No expensive excursion.

Just water on the ground and the freedom to step right into it.

And as I watched him, I found myself thinking about how easy it is for adults to forget how to enjoy the little things.

We're always trying to get somewhere.

Always checking the time.

Always thinking about what comes next.

Sometimes a puddle is just a puddle.

And sometimes it's an invitation to stop taking everything so seriously.


🌧️ The Vacation Didn't Look Exactly Like We Planned

If I'm being honest, this vacation wasn't exactly what I might have imagined when we started.

There were rainy days.

Plans changed.

Some things we might have done didn't happen.

But we still had a good time.

We did puzzles.

We played games.

We watched football.

We ate.

We talked.

We laughed.

We stayed inside.

We made our own entertainment.

And I think that's an important lesson in itself.

We can spend so much time imagining what a good experience is supposed to look like that we miss the experience we're actually having.

Maybe the perfect vacation isn't the one where everything goes according to plan.

Maybe it's the one where everybody gets to breathe.

Maybe it's the one where nobody has to perform.

Maybe it's the one where you can sit around a table putting together a thousand-piece puzzle while arguing over where one stubborn piece belongs.

Maybe it's the one where you can turn on an Xbox and let everybody unwind.

Maybe it's the one where the rain forces you to slow down.

There is a certain kind of blessing that comes when life doesn't give you the schedule you expected.

It makes you ask:

Can I still enjoy what I have?


🌿 Knowing When Enough Is Enough

Our car is mostly packed.

And that is something we've started doing over the years because loading everything at night and showering before bed is about a thousand times easier than trying to do it all in the morning sun.

I have learned some things about myself.

I don't need unnecessary morning chaos.

I don't want to wake up trying to remember what we forgot.

I don't want to be sweating while loading bags into the car.

I want to wake up, finish the last little things, get dressed, grab what needs to be grabbed, and go.

There is something peaceful about preparing for departure before you actually have to depart.

We cleaned everything up.

We threw away the leftovers and food we weren't going to eat.

We got things organized.

And then we entered what I like to call:

Chill Mode.

Because here's the thing.

At one point I thought about leaving tonight.

Then I thought:

Absolutely not.

😂

We paid for the night.

We're going to use the night.

And honestly, I'd rather travel in the morning when I can actually see where I'm going.

There is wisdom in knowing when to leave.

But there is also wisdom in knowing when not to rush.

Sometimes we think we have to squeeze every ounce of productivity out of every available minute.

But why?

If you've already paid for the room, rested your body, and have somewhere safe to be, why not stay?

If the next morning will provide better visibility, why force the nighttime drive?

If you have been moving all day, why not sit down?

Rest isn't wasted time.

Sometimes rest is preparation.


🌱 The Part of Coming Home Nobody Sees

But this is where vacation ends and real life begins.

And my mental list has already started.

Three appointments for Mom.

Then Thursday, we're heading to Chicago.

There are things waiting for me.

Responsibilities.

Family.

Schedules.

Things that need to be handled.

And that's okay.

Life doesn't stop because we took a vacation.

In fact, sometimes a vacation gives us enough breathing room to return to our responsibilities with a little more patience.

My mom is about to begin getting her vaccines again because chemotherapy wiped out her immune system, which means she has to go through a whole series of vaccinations again.

It's one of those realities of life that you don't necessarily think about until you're living it.

And because of where she is right now, I'm not comfortable putting her on an airplane yet.

Being surrounded by that many people without the protection of a functioning immune system?

Nope.

Not for me.

I'm going to choose the road.

And honestly, this is where life has taught me that sometimes love looks like making decisions that aren't necessarily the easiest or fastest ones.

Sometimes caring for someone means slowing down.

Sometimes wisdom means saying, "Not yet."

And sometimes the responsible choice doesn't look exciting at all.

It simply looks like doing what makes the most sense for the people you love.


✨ Sometimes the Detour Is Part of the Blessing

The interesting thing is that this trip to Chicago is working out better than I originally expected.

My son has a four-day weekend.

That means I get three full days I hadn't originally planned to spend with my dad and my second mom.

And Mom will get three whole weeks with her family.

Suddenly, what could have looked like an inconvenience becomes something else entirely.

Time.

Extra time.

Family time.

The kind of time that you don't always realize you needed until you have it.

Isn't that just like life?

We make a plan.

Then something changes.

We adjust.

We make another plan.

And eventually we realize that the thing we were initially frustrated about created space for something we wouldn't have had otherwise.

That's why I've become a little more careful about calling things "setbacks."

Sometimes they're simply reroutes.

Sometimes the road changes because there is something along the new road that you were supposed to see.


🙏 What If God Is Using the Change of Plans?

I don't believe every inconvenience is some grand divine message.

Sometimes rain is just rain.

Sometimes traffic is just traffic.

Sometimes you packed the wrong shoes.

😂

But I do believe God can use whatever happens in our lives.

Even the things we didn't plan.

Even the things that interrupt us.

Even the things that force us to slow down.

What if the rainy days were not wasted days?

What if they gave us something the sunshine couldn't?

More time together.

More conversations.

More puzzles.

More rest.

More laughter.

More opportunities to simply exist in the same space.

What if staying another night isn't laziness?

What if it is wisdom?

What if choosing to drive instead of fly isn't fear?

What if it is discernment?

What if spending those extra days with family isn't something you have to squeeze into an already crowded schedule?

What if it is exactly where you're supposed to be?

We don't always get to see the entire picture while we're living it.

Sometimes we only understand the purpose of a detour after we've already arrived.

And maybe that's why faith matters.

Faith allows us to keep moving without needing every answer first.


🚶🏽‍♀️ Going Home Doesn't Mean Going Backward

I think sometimes we talk about returning home as though it means returning to ordinary life after something extraordinary.

But maybe home is part of the extraordinary too.

Tomorrow I'll be looking forward to my own bed.

My exceptional Wi-Fi. 😂

My pups.

My own kitchen.

My own routine.

And honestly, I'm looking forward to all of it.

Because there is something beautiful about having somewhere you are happy to return to.

Home isn't just the place you leave behind when you go on vacation.

Home is the place that reminds you who you are when the vacation ends.

It's where the responsibilities are.

It's where the laundry is.

It's where the dogs are waiting.

It's where the mail has probably multiplied.

It's where reality is.

But it's also where your life is.

And there is peace in knowing that.


🌊 What the Ocean Taught Me

Standing at the ocean one last time tonight, I couldn't help but think about how quickly this vacation passed.

The ocean doesn't care how long you've been there.

It keeps moving.

Wave after wave.

Coming in.

Going out.

Returning again.

There is something comforting about that rhythm.

We have seasons where we arrive.

Seasons where we stay.

Seasons where we leave.

And seasons where we return.

None of them are permanent.

Maybe that's why we should stop expecting life to stay still.

We don't need every season to last forever for it to matter.

The beach doesn't become less beautiful because you eventually have to leave it.

The vacation doesn't become less meaningful because it ends.

The memories don't disappear because you drive away.

Sometimes the ending is what allows you to appreciate what happened.

And maybe that's true in more areas of our lives than vacations.


🌼 So What Do We Take Home With Us?

Tomorrow we'll get in the car and head back toward home.

I'll probably have snacks packed.

Coffee is already made and in the fridge. (Because my homemade ice coffee it the best)

Music playing.

Family in the car.

And a mental list of everything waiting for us when we arrive.

But I'm also taking something else home.

I'm taking the memory of my son walking through enormous puddles like they were his personal swimming pools.

I'm taking the laughter.

The puzzles.

The rainy afternoons.

The beach.

The ocean.

The quiet moments.

The conversations.

The reminder that a day doesn't have to be spectacular to be meaningful.

And I'm taking the understanding that sometimes the best thing we can do is simply be where we are.

When we're on vacation, be on vacation.

When we're traveling, travel.

When we're home, be home.

When we're with family, be with family.

We miss so much when our bodies are in one place and our minds are already somewhere else.

Maybe presence is one of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves.


❤️ A Moment to Reflect

Before you rush into whatever comes next, take a moment with these questions:

Where in my life am I rushing when I don't actually need to?

What recent change of plans might have created an unexpected blessing?

What does "home" mean to me beyond a physical place?

What memories am I making right now that I may one day wish I could revisit?

What is God asking me to trust as I move from one season into another?

Sit with those questions.

Don't force an answer.

Take them into prayer.

Sometimes God speaks most clearly when we're finally quiet enough to listen.


🙏 Affirmations

  • I trust the timing of my journey.
  • I allow myself to rest without guilt.
  • I can embrace change without losing my peace.
  • I recognize blessings even when plans change.
  • I am grateful for where I have been and open to where God is leading me. 🤍

📖 Bible Verse

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
— Ecclesiastes 3:1, KJV

There is something especially fitting about this verse at the end of a vacation.

There was a time to arrive.

A time to stay.

And now, there is a time to leave.

But this verse reaches beyond vacations.

There are seasons for rest.

Seasons for work.

Seasons for caring for others.

Seasons for traveling.

Seasons for being home.

Seasons when we are surrounded by people.

And seasons when God calls us into quieter spaces.

We don't have to force one season to become another.

We can honor the one we're in.

For everyday life, that might mean giving yourself permission to rest when you need rest instead of feeling guilty because something remains unfinished.

It might mean accepting that your plans have changed without assuming your life has gone wrong.

It might mean trusting that leaving one place doesn't mean losing what happened there.

You can carry the lessons with you.

You can carry the memories.

You can carry the gratitude.

And then you can keep moving.


🎵 Song of the Day:

“Drive” by Incubus

🎧 Listen here

There was something about this song that felt right for the end of this vacation.

Not because I believe I can control everything that happens on the road—or in life—but because I am a firm believer in being intentional about what I can control.

When I am driving, I have a certain freedom that I don't have when someone else is behind the wheel. I get to decide when we stop. I can pull over if I need a moment. If I want to grab something to eat, stretch my legs, take a smoke break, or simply pause and breathe, I can. If we see something interesting along the way and decide we want to take a little detour, we can make that choice.

And honestly, I love that.

There is something beautiful about not having to rush every mile between where you are and where you're going.

Sometimes the best parts of a road trip aren't the destination at all. They're the unexpected gas station conversation, the random snack stop, the stretch of road where everybody gets quiet, the laughter that happens in the car, or the decision to take the scenic route simply because nobody is in a hurry.

That's what driving represents to me.

Choice.

Not necessarily control over the entire journey, but ownership of how I participate in it.

Life works the same way.

I can't decide what tomorrow will bring. I can't control every delay, every change of plans, every unexpected phone call, every storm, or every circumstance waiting for me when I get home. But I can decide whether I will spend all my energy fighting what I cannot change or whether I will stay present enough to make thoughtful choices with what is actually in my hands.

That distinction matters.

Because sometimes we confuse surrender with giving up our agency. We think trusting God means sitting in the passenger seat while life drives wherever it wants.

I don't believe that's what faith asks of us.

Sometimes faith looks like putting your hands on the wheel, praying for wisdom, paying attention to the road, and trusting God enough to keep moving.

There will be moments when I need to slow down.

There will be moments when I need to stop.

There will be moments when I need to change direction.

And there will be moments when I simply need to keep going.

The important thing is knowing the difference.

For me, this drive home is more than getting from one place back to another. It is another opportunity to practice being present. To enjoy the people riding beside me. To appreciate the freedom to make a stop when we need one. To allow a little spontaneity. To notice the scenery instead of being so focused on arriving that I miss the journey.

And I'm choosing to take that part of my vacation with me.

I'm choosing to return home with gratitude rather than rushing mentally into everything waiting for me.

Because even when the vacation ends, the lesson doesn't have to.

Maybe that's one of the gifts of traveling: sometimes you come home carrying more than souvenirs. You bring back a different perspective.

A reminder that life doesn't always have to be lived at full speed.

A reminder that changing course doesn't mean you've failed.

A reminder that stopping doesn't mean you're falling behind.

A reminder that you can be responsible and still leave room for joy.

And perhaps most importantly, a reminder that while I may not know exactly what tomorrow will bring, I can choose how I meet it.

With open eyes.

With an open heart.

With gratitude for the road I've already traveled.

And with enough faith to keep my hands on the wheel.

So, as we make our way home, that's what I'm carrying with me.

Not the expectation that everything ahead will be easy.

Not the illusion that I can control every turn.

Just the quiet confidence that I can make choices along the way—and trust God with the parts that aren't mine to steer.

Sometimes the journey isn't about knowing exactly where you're going. Sometimes it's about being willing to drive, stay awake, enjoy the ride, and trust that you'll know when it's time to stop, turn, or keep going.

And for this season of my life, I'm grateful to be behind the wheel.


🌼 Final Thoughts

Tomorrow morning, the vacation will officially be over.

The bags will go into the car.

The doors will close.

The GPS will be set.

And we'll start heading home.

I'm sure there will be traffic.

I'm sure somebody will need something.

I'm sure there will be stops.

And I'm sure at some point I'll wonder why I didn't choose a vacation destination five minutes from my house. 😂

But that's okay.

We went.

We experienced it.

We rested.

We laughed.

We made memories.

And now we're going home.

Maybe that's the rhythm of life.

We arrive.

We experience.

We learn.

We rest.

We say goodbye.

And then we continue.

So tonight, I'm saying goodbye to the ocean for now.

Thank you for the waves.

Thank you for the peace.

Thank you for the rainy days that slowed us down.

Thank you for the sunshine we did get.

Thank you for the memories.

And tomorrow, I'm going to turn toward home with gratitude.

Because there is another chapter waiting.

My own bed is waiting.

My pups are waiting.

My family is waiting.

Chicago is waiting.

Responsibilities are waiting.

Life is waiting.

And I'm ready to meet it.

Maybe that's what a good vacation is supposed to do.

Not make us want to escape our lives forever.

But give us enough room to breathe so we can return to them with fresh eyes.

So wherever you're headed tonight—or tomorrow—may you know when to rest.

May you know when to move.

May you recognize when a detour is actually an invitation.

And may you never be so focused on where you're going that you forget to appreciate where you are.

God, thank You for the places You allow us to visit, the people You allow us to love, the memories You allow us to make, and the homes You give us to return to.

Help us trust every season.

Help us release what is finished.

Help us welcome what is next.

And wherever the road leads, remind us that we never walk it alone.

With love and gratitude,

Angel 🤍
AMC Rise and Thrive


🤍 Support This Space

If today's reflection encouraged your heart, strengthened your faith, or reminded you that you're not walking this journey alone, thank you for spending part of your day here.

If you'd like to help this space continue growing, you're welcome to support AMC Rise and Thrive through Ko-fi. Every contribution helps me continue creating faith-centered reflections, spiritual encouragement, and messages of hope for this beautiful community.

There is never any pressure—your presence here is already a gift, and I truly appreciate each and every one of you.

Support AMC Rise and Thrive 🤍

Support AMC Rise and Thrive on Ko-fi

If this message resonated with you, consider sharing it with someone who may need these words today. You never know how God may use a simple act of kindness to encourage another heart.

Keep trusting His timing. We can't rush what He is preparing, but we can remain open, faithful, and willing to walk where He leads.


#AMCRiseAndThrive #ComingHome #FaithAndJourney #RestAndRenewal #TrustGodsTiming

Explore more: AMC Rise and Thrive | Chakra Quiz | Subscribe | Calendar | Label Guide | Playlist | AMC Rise and Thrive Top 20 | The Sacred Seasons Collection  | One Full Year of AMC Rise and Thrive | The Zodiac Wisdom Collection

 

Comments