When Plans Change, Grace Remains: Learning to Rest Without Guilt


When Plans Change, Grace Remains: Learning to Rest Without Guilt
By Angel, Founder of AMC Rise and Thrive

🌿 Greetings, Beautiful Souls

Hello, my friends.

Happy Full Moon. 🌕 I hope wherever this message finds you, you're taking a moment to breathe deeply and give yourself permission to slow down.

First, I want to apologize for this post being a little later than usual. Life has a funny way of reminding us that even the people who encourage others to stay grounded sometimes need to catch their own breath.

If I'm being honest, I've been a little off my game lately.

Not in a dramatic way. Not because anything terrible happened. Just...life.

Sometimes life becomes so full that even the things we love begin competing with everything else that needs our attention. This week reminded me that even with all the planning in the world, we are still human. We still get tired. We still fall behind. And that's okay.

Today I finally made my way to Chicago for a much-needed vacation with my dad and my second mom. As I sit here tonight surrounded by familiar memories, I can't help but reflect on how different this trip felt before I even pulled out of my driveway.

Maybe you've had seasons like that too.


🌙 Sometimes Even the Best Plans Fall Apart

If you know me at all, you know I'm a planner.

Actually...that's probably putting it mildly.

I have calendars for just about everything. I make lists. I organize. I check things twice. I usually begin preparing for trips days ahead of time because I don't like feeling rushed. It helps calm my mind and lets me leave feeling excited instead of overwhelmed.

Normally, two days before I leave, almost everything is finished.

The laundry is done.

The bags are mostly packed.

The errands are complete.

I even plan when I'm going to take a nap before driving because I'd rather leave refreshed than exhausted. My goal is almost always to hit the road around four in the morning so I can arrive around lunchtime, beat most of the traffic, and enjoy the rest of the day.

This trip?

Not even close.

Two days before leaving, I was getting my oil changed, bathing the dogs, washing blankets, cleaning up after everyone, and trying to get the house in order before leaving.

The day before the trip became another marathon.

Off to the pharmacy for medications.

Finish packing.

Paint my nails.

Double-check everything.

Handle all the little things that somehow become big things when you're getting ready to leave town.

By the time everything was finally finished, I knew I should have been sleeping.

Instead...

I stared at the ceiling.

Three-thirty in the morning came, and no matter how badly I wanted to fall into a deep sleep, my body simply wasn't cooperating.

Eventually, I stopped fighting it.

I climbed out of bed.

Took a shower.

Made something to eat.

Then crawled back under the covers and finally fell asleep until around 9:30 that morning.

Needless to say, my carefully planned departure had completely disappeared.

There was a time when something like that would have frustrated me for the entire day.

Maybe even the whole trip.

Because somewhere along the way I convinced myself that if the schedule wasn't perfect, then somehow I had failed.

But age...experience...and a whole lot of conversations with God have been teaching me something different.

Sometimes the delay isn't failure.

Sometimes it's simply life asking us to loosen our grip.


🤍 Control Isn't the Same as Peace

I've spent much of my life believing that being organized meant being prepared for anything.

And while planning is a wonderful gift, I've learned it has a shadow side.

Sometimes planning quietly becomes control.

Not because we want to control everyone around us.

But because control can make us feel safe.

When everything is color-coded...

When every hour is scheduled...

When every bag is packed perfectly...

We believe we've eliminated uncertainty.

The problem is...

Life has never promised certainty.

God never said every road would stay perfectly clear.

He never promised there wouldn't be detours, delays, unexpected traffic, forgotten items, or nights where sleep simply refuses to come.

Yet somehow we still expect ourselves to perform like machines instead of people.

I've realized something over the past few years.

Peace doesn't come from having everything under control.

Peace comes from knowing that even when things aren't under our control, God still is.

That's a very different kind of peace.

It's quieter.

It's deeper.

And honestly...

It's much harder to learn.

Because surrender rarely feels comfortable at first.

It asks us to trust without seeing every step.

It asks us to stop measuring ourselves by productivity.

It asks us to believe that our worth isn't tied to how efficiently we move through a checklist.

For someone like me, that's been a lifelong lesson.

Maybe that's why this trip began exactly the way it did.

Not because I failed.

But because I needed another reminder that grace often arrives disguised as interruption.


🚗 The Road Still Led Me Home

By the time I finally loaded the car, got my son up, and pulled onto the highway, I knew my original timeline was long gone.

Instead of arriving around noon like I had planned, I rolled into Chicago around eight that evening.

It was a long drive, but somewhere between the miles and the music, my perspective started to shift.

I wasn't racing a clock anymore.

I wasn't trying to "catch up."

I was simply driving toward people I love.

Sometimes we become so focused on how something is supposed to happen that we forget to appreciate why we're doing it in the first place.

Yes, it took longer than expected.

Yes, I arrived tired.

Yes, there was still plenty to do after getting here.

I unloaded the car.

Got our rooms set up.

Hooked up a television so I could bring one of my favorite ways to unwind with me—because yes, you already know Red Dead Redemption 2 is making an appearance during this vacation. There's something oddly peaceful about riding through those wide-open landscapes after weeks of constant responsibility. It gives my mind a chance to breathe in a different way.

By the time everything was finally settled, I realized something important.

I had made it.

Not on my original schedule.

Not exactly how I envisioned it.

But safely.

Sometimes that's enough.

Actually...

Sometimes that's everything.

Too often we judge our journey by comparing it to the plan we made instead of celebrating the fact that we arrived at all.

Life has a way of reminding us that the destination can still hold joy, even when the road looked different than we expected.

And maybe that's a lesson worth carrying far beyond this vacation.

Sometimes the greatest gift isn't sticking perfectly to the itinerary.

Sometimes it's discovering that God's peace was traveling with us the whole time—even through the delays.


🌿 When We Forget Things, We Remember What Matters

When I finally got everything unloaded and settled in, I realized something else.

In all the rushing...

I forgot things.

Normally, that would have driven me absolutely crazy.

If you've ever traveled with me—or if you're anything like me—you know that I like feeling prepared. I like knowing that I packed everything I might possibly need. There is a certain comfort in checking every item off the list and knowing nothing was left behind.

So discovering that I had forgotten a few things would usually become the story I told myself for the rest of the day.

"How could you forget that?"

"You should have planned better."

"You knew better."

Those thoughts used to come so easily.

But this time...

They didn't stay very long.

Instead, I laughed.

Not because forgetting things is ideal, but because I realized how blessed I actually am.

I'm spending my vacation in a city I know well. Chicago has never been a place where I worry about finding what I need. There are stores everywhere, and for anything I can't find locally, Amazon Prime can usually have it here in a day or two.

In other words...

Nothing I forgot was truly a disaster.

It was simply an inconvenience.

Sometimes we treat inconveniences like catastrophes.

We allow one forgotten item, one missed appointment, one delayed plan, or one imperfect moment to convince us that everything is falling apart.

But often, life is simply reminding us to adjust.

Not every inconvenience deserves our peace.

Sometimes it deserves nothing more than a smile and a quick trip to the store.

That realization didn't happen overnight.

It's taken years of learning to be kinder to myself.

Years of understanding that perfection isn't the goal.

Presence is.

When we stop demanding perfection from ourselves, we begin creating room for joy.

Joy doesn't need everything to go according to plan.

Joy simply needs an open heart.

I think that's one of the quiet lessons God has been teaching me lately.

His grace fills the spaces where our plans fall short.

Not because He expects us to be careless, but because He knows we're human.


🌕 Rest Is Holy Too

One of the biggest reasons I wanted this trip wasn't sightseeing.

It wasn't shopping.

It wasn't even getting away from home.

I simply wanted to rest.

Real rest.

The kind that isn't squeezed into a twenty-minute break between responsibilities.

The kind that doesn't come with a mental checklist running in the background.

The kind where you don't constantly feel like someone needs something from you.

If you're a caregiver...

A parent...

Someone carrying the emotional weight for your family...

Or simply someone who pours into everyone around you...

Then you probably understand how rare that kind of rest can feel.

Sometimes we become so accustomed to being "on" that we forget what it feels like to simply exist without producing something.

That's where I found myself.

As much as I love writing these reflections...

As much as I love helping others...

Even encouragement requires energy.

Even the strongest hearts need quiet.

Even people with deep faith become tired.

Jesus Himself stepped away from the crowds.

He withdrew to pray.

He rested.

He spent time alone with the Father.

If the Son of God modeled rest, why do we so often treat it like something we have to earn?

Somewhere along the way, our culture convinced us that productivity equals value.

That being busy means being important.

That slowing down somehow makes us lazy.

But God has never measured our worth by the length of our to-do list.

He measures our hearts.

He delights in His children simply being with Him.

Not performing.

Not proving.

Just being.

That's the kind of rest I'm hoping to embrace over these next ten days.

Not a vacation where every hour is scheduled.

Not a vacation that leaves me needing another vacation afterward.

Just simple moments.

Sleeping a little later.

Watching movies with family.

Enjoying conversations that don't have to end quickly because something else needs my attention.

Eating good food.

Laughing.

Playing a little Red Dead Redemption 2.

Watching sunsets.

Letting my nervous system finally remember what calm feels like.

I think we all deserve moments like that.

Not because we've finished every responsibility.

But because we're human beings—not human doings.


️ Choosing Presence Over Obligation

One decision I made before coming here was to keep this trip relatively quiet.

I didn't tell many people I was coming.

Not because I don't love seeing friends.

Not because I don't appreciate the people who care about me.

But because every time I come to Chicago, my schedule somehow fills itself.

Coffee here.

Lunch there.

One visit turns into five.

Before I know it, the vacation has become another calendar full of commitments.

Then I return home wondering where the break actually went.

This time...

I wanted something different.

I wanted permission to simply be present.

To enjoy breakfast without watching the clock.

To sit on the couch and watch an old movie.

To laugh with my dad.

To spend time with my second mom.

To let my son make memories with his grandpa—even if, at the moment, I was more than ready to let Grandpa have him for a while!

Can I be honest?

I love my son with all my heart.

There isn't a thing I wouldn't do for him.

But there are moments when he tests every ounce of patience I have.

Parents understand exactly what I mean.

Sometimes the most loving thing we can do is admit that we're tired.

It's okay to need a break.

It's okay to let someone else step in.

It's okay to receive help.

There is no shame in saying,

"Grandpa, he's all yours for a little while."

In fact, I think that's healthy.

We were never meant to carry every responsibility alone.

God often sends people to help us long before we're willing to accept the help.

Family.

Friends.

Neighbors.

Even strangers.

Sometimes the blessing isn't found in how much we can carry.

Sometimes it's found in finally putting something down.

As I begin these next ten days, I don't have a packed itinerary.

I don't have a long list of attractions to visit.

I don't have expectations that everything has to be picture-perfect.

What I do have is gratitude.

Gratitude for arriving safely.

Gratitude for family.

Gratitude for another opportunity to rest, recharge, and simply enjoy the gift of being together.

And as this beautiful Full Moon shines over all of us tonight, I hope you'll find your own way to recharge too.

Whether your version of rest is spending time in nature, curling up with a good book, sitting quietly in prayer, laughing with people you love, or simply allowing yourself an afternoon nap without guilt, I pray you embrace it wholeheartedly.

Summer always seems to move faster than we expect. Before we know it, school supplies will fill the aisles, routines will return, and another season will begin.

So before life speeds up again...

Pause.

Take a deep breath.

Look around.

Notice the people beside you.

Thank God for the road that brought you here—even if it wasn't the road you planned.

Sometimes the greatest blessing isn't arriving exactly on time.

It's realizing that every unexpected detour carried its own gift, and that God's presence never left the passenger seat.


Affirmations

As I settle into these next ten days of rest, these are the truths I'm choosing to carry with me. If they speak to your heart, I invite you to say them aloud too.

🤍 I give myself permission to rest without guilt.

🤍 I trust that God is present, even when my plans change.

🤍 I release the need for perfection and embrace grace.

🤍 I welcome peace, joy, and renewal into every part of my life.

🤍 I am grateful for the people, places, and moments that remind me what truly matters.


📖 Scripture for Reflection

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

— Matthew 11:28–30 (King James Version)

I love these verses because Jesus doesn't tell us to come to Him only after we've finished everything on our to-do list. He doesn't say we have to earn rest or prove we've worked hard enough. He simply invites us to come.

That invitation still stands today.

Whether you're physically exhausted, emotionally drained, spiritually weary, or simply carrying more than anyone realizes, Christ welcomes you into His peace. His rest isn't just about sleeping a little longer—it is about laying down the burdens we've been trying to carry alone.

Sometimes the holiest thing we can do is stop striving for a moment and simply rest in His presence.


🎵 Song of the Day

"I Can Only Imagine" – MercyMe

🎧 Listen here

This song has always reminded me to pause and think about God's presence instead of getting caught up in life's endless demands. While today's post is about vacations, delayed plans, and much-needed rest, beneath all of that is a deeper reminder: our greatest peace is found when we remember who walks beside us.

As you listen, let the lyrics encourage you to release whatever you've been carrying. Imagine what it would feel like to surrender your worries, your timelines, and your need to have everything figured out.

Maybe today isn't about accomplishing one more thing.

Maybe today is about remembering that God is already holding tomorrow.


🌕 Final Thoughts

As I write this tonight, I'm finally here.

The bags are unpacked.

The car is parked.

The long drive is behind me.

The stress of preparing has faded into the background, replaced by the quiet comfort of being with family.

And honestly?

That feels like enough.

This vacation doesn't need to be extravagant to be meaningful.

It doesn't need a packed itinerary or perfectly planned days.

Sometimes healing happens in the simplest moments.

A shared meal around the table.

A conversation that lasts a little longer than expected.

A favorite movie playing in the background.

A peaceful morning with nowhere to rush.

A quiet evening spent watching the world slow down.

Those ordinary moments often become the memories we treasure most.

As this Full Moon lights the night sky, I hope it serves as a gentle reminder to release what has become too heavy to carry. Let it illuminate not only the things you're ready to let go of, but also the blessings that have quietly surrounded you all along.

As we make our way toward another school year, another season, and another chapter, I pray you give yourself permission to pause before rushing into what's next.

You don't have to have every answer.

You don't have to have every detail figured out.

You don't have to be productive every moment of every day.

Sometimes the bravest thing we can do is simply rest.

Thank you for walking this journey with me.

Whether you've been here since the beginning or you've only recently found AMC Rise and Thrive, I want you to know how grateful I am that our paths crossed. Your encouragement, your kindness, your comments, and your willingness to share these reflections with others mean more than you know.

I hope these next ten days refill my cup so I can continue pouring into this space with renewed joy, fresh perspective, and a rested heart.

Until next time...

Take care of yourself.

Be gentle with yourself.

Trust God's timing.

And remember...

Even when your plans change, His faithfulness never does.

With love and gratitude,

Angel 🤍


🤍 Support AMC Rise and Thrive

If this reflection encouraged your heart, strengthened your faith, or simply reminded you to slow down and breathe, thank you for spending this time with me.

AMC Rise and Thrive exists to share hope, encouragement, and gentle reminders that none of us walk this journey alone. Every post is written with the prayer that someone, somewhere, will read the words they need at exactly the right moment.

If you'd like to help support this space and the work that goes into creating these reflections, you're welcome to do so here:

Support AMC Rise and Thrive 🤍

https://ko-fi.com/G2G61TI051

There is never any pressure—only sincere gratitude.

If today's message touched your heart, consider sharing it with someone who may need the same encouragement. You can also explore the archive for more reflections on faith, healing, personal growth, and everyday moments where God quietly meets us.

I truly believe that God works in perfect timing. We cannot rush His plans, but we can choose to remain open, faithful, and expectant as He continues unfolding His purpose in our lives. Sometimes the right message finds us precisely when our hearts are ready to receive it.

Thank you for being part of this community. It is a blessing to walk this journey together.


#AMCRiseAndThrive #FaithJourney #ChooseRest #GodsTiming #FullMoonReflections

Explore more: AMC Rise and Thrive | Chakra Quiz | Subscribe | Calendar | Label Guide | Playlist

New pages AMC Rise and Thrive Top 20

Discover the 20 most-loved and most-viewed posts from AMC Rise and Thrive. These reader favorites offer inspiration, encouragement, spiritual reflection, and practical wisdom for every stage of life's journey.

The Sacred Seasons Collection

Explore the wisdom of the equinoxes and solstices with reflections on light, balance, growth, release, and renewal throughout the year.

One Full Year of AMC Rise and Thrive

Visit the complete collection of monthly reflections, offering inspiration, encouragement, and guidance for every month of the year.

The Zodiac Wisdom Collection

Discover the spiritual themes and lessons of each zodiac season through soulful reflections designed to inspire growth and self-awareness.

Comments