When the Strong One Feels Tired: The Weight We Carry That No One Sees
When the Strong One Feels Tired: The Weight We Carry That No One Sees
By Angel, Founder of AMC Rise and
Thrive
🌿 Hello,
beautiful souls. 🤍
I'm going to be honest today.
I sat at my computer for what felt like forever, staring at a
blinking cursor that refused to inspire me. Usually, once I begin writing, the
words eventually find me. But today? Nothing.
I stepped away from my game because I wanted to get this post
finished. I took a shower. I went outside for a smoke. I came back hoping
something would finally click.
Still...nothing.
Sometimes, even as someone who writes from the heart, there
are days when your own heart is simply exhausted.
Maybe that's exactly why this is the message I was meant to
write.
Because life isn't always wrapped up in neat lessons with
beautiful endings. Sometimes it's just messy. Sometimes it's draining.
Sometimes all you can do is show up exactly as you are.
And maybe someone reading this needs permission to do the
same.
🌤️ The
Seasons We Don't Talk About
Summer is supposed to be fun.
It's supposed to be vacations, swimming pools, road trips,
laughter, and making memories.
But sometimes summer carries a completely different weight.
For us, these past few days have been rough.
My son has been having more episodes than he was while school
was in session. The structure that school provides disappears during the
summer, and although he's grown so much over the years and many of his
behaviors have improved tremendously, this season always seems to bring new
challenges.
He's getting bigger.
He's stronger.
And while the episodes don't happen nearly as often as they
used to, when they do happen, they take everything out of me.
I love my son more than words could ever explain.
I wouldn't trade him for anything in this world.
But I also need to say something that many parents of children
with special needs quietly think and rarely say aloud.
It is exhausting.
Not because we don't love our children.
Not because we wish they were someone else.
But because loving someone with every fiber of your being
while constantly navigating meltdowns, sensory overload, communication
barriers, unpredictable behaviors, and the never-ending mental load is one of
the hardest things many people will never truly understand.
People often tell caregivers how strong they are.
What they don't see is what strength actually costs.
Strength often looks like crying in the shower so your child
doesn't see.
It looks like surviving on very little sleep.
It looks like smiling at strangers after spending hours
calming a meltdown.
It looks like constantly thinking ten steps ahead.
It looks like never completely relaxing because you're always
anticipating what could happen next.
Strength is beautiful.
But strength is also incredibly tiring.
💙 The
Conversations That Remind You You're Not Alone
This week I had a doctor's appointment for myself.
Even that sentence feels strange to write because, if you're a
caregiver, you probably understand how often your own appointments end up
getting pushed aside.
While I was having blood drawn, my son was with me.
Whenever we're somewhere new, I usually let people know he's
autistic.
Not because he needs to be labeled.
Not because I owe anyone an explanation.
But because I want people to understand that if he behaves
differently, it's not because he's "bad."
His brain simply experiences the world differently.
The woman drawing my blood smiled and told me she has a
seven-year-old son on the spectrum.
Immediately, the conversation shifted.
There was no pretending.
No explaining.
No judgment.
Just understanding.
I shared a few things that had helped us over the years.
We talked about light therapy.
We talked about TouchChat for the iPad and how giving children
another way to communicate can open doors many people don't even realize exist.
We talked about surviving one day at a time.
And then we talked about something parents of special needs
children don't always admit.
How some days...
You're simply trying not to lose your mind.
That may sound harsh to someone who has never lived this life.
But honesty is not cruelty.
Honesty is healing.
Caregivers deserve spaces where they don't have to pretend
they're handling everything perfectly.
Because perfection was never the goal.
Love is.
Some people hear a parent admit they're overwhelmed and assume
they love their child less.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
The deepest love often carries the heaviest burdens.
✨ Giving
Yourself Permission to Be Human
There are moments when I think about our upcoming trip to
Chicago.
We were supposed to go in June.
Life had different plans.
I had hoped to leave today.
But the things I needed to accomplish simply didn't get
finished.
So, I'm pushing it back.
Years ago, I probably would have been angry with myself.
I would have felt like I failed.
Now...
I'm learning that postponing something isn't the same as
giving up.
Life isn't always lived according to our calendars.
Sometimes the timing changes.
Sometimes God gently closes one day so another can open at
exactly the right moment.
I'm disappointed.
Of course I am.
But I'm also learning to leave room for grace.
Because that's something caregivers rarely offer themselves.
Grace.
We give it freely to everyone else.
We forgive our children.
We comfort our families.
We encourage our friends.
Yet somehow we become our own harshest critics.
The truth is...
Some seasons simply ask more from us.
Summer has always been one of those seasons for me.
The routines disappear.
The appointments continue.
The grocery shopping still has to be done.
The laundry doesn't magically stop.
Bills still arrive.
Meals still need to be made.
Repairs around the house need to be completed.
And in between all of that...
You're trying to keep your own spirit from running completely
empty.
There are days when positivity feels impossible.
Not because you've lost your faith.
But because you're tired.
Faith and exhaustion can exist together.
Hope and frustration can sit in the same heart.
You can deeply love your child while desperately wishing for
one uninterrupted hour of peace.
Those truths don't cancel each other out.
They simply make you human.
One of the greatest lies we tell ourselves is that we must
always appear strong.
But maybe real strength isn't pretending we're okay.
Maybe real strength is admitting when we're struggling and
trusting God enough to carry what we no longer can.
Jesus Himself stepped away to rest.
He withdrew from the crowds.
He prayed.
He wept.
He experienced sorrow.
If the Savior of the world honored His humanity, perhaps we
should stop feeling guilty for honoring ours.
Maybe today your victory isn't accomplishing everything on
your list.
Maybe it's simply making it through the day.
Maybe it's choosing kindness instead of criticism toward
yourself.
Maybe it's asking for help.
Maybe it's admitting you're tired.
Those are victories too.
And they matter.
So, if today feels heavy...
If you're caring for children...
Parents...
A spouse...
Or simply carrying burdens no one else can see...
I hope you remember this.
You don't have to earn God's love by never getting tired.
You already have it.
You don't have to prove your worth by carrying everything
alone.
You never were meant to.
Sometimes the strongest prayer we can pray is simply...
"Lord, I need You."
And that prayer has never gone unanswered.
🌸 Five
Gentle Affirmations
🤍 I am
allowed to feel tired without believing I have failed.
🤍 My love
is not measured by my perfection but by my faithful presence.
🤍 God
gives me strength for today and hope for tomorrow.
🤍 Rest is
not weakness; it is a sacred act of trust.
🤍 Even in
difficult seasons, I am surrounded by grace I cannot always see.
📖 Bible
Verse
"As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I
comfort you..."
— Isaiah 66:13 (King James Version)
One of the most beautiful things about this verse is the
picture God chooses to paint. Out of all the ways He could describe His love,
He compares it to the comfort of a mother. He knows the tenderness, patience,
sacrifice, and fierce devotion that a mother's heart carries. He understands
the sleepless nights, the quiet worries, the endless giving, and the deep
desire to make everything better for her child.
If you're raising a child with special needs, this verse
carries even greater meaning. You spend so much of your life comforting your
child—calming fears, navigating meltdowns, celebrating small victories, and
standing beside them through challenges that others may never fully understand.
It can be emotionally, mentally, and physically exhausting.
Yet God gently reminds us that just as we comfort our
children, He is comforting us.
When your strength begins to fade, He is there.
When you feel unseen, He sees every sacrifice.
When you wonder if you're doing enough, He whispers that your
love is already making a difference.
The comfort you pour into your child is a reflection of the
comfort your Heavenly Father continually pours into you. You were never meant
to carry every burden alone. His presence is the safe place where weary parents
can lay down their fears, catch their breath, and be reminded that they are
deeply loved too.
So today, if your heart feels heavy, let this promise settle
into your soul: the same God who entrusted this child to your care is also
caring for you. His arms are just as open to the caregiver as they are to the
child. In His love, both of you find comfort, strength, and peace.
🎵 Song of
the Day
"In the Air Tonight" – Phil Collins
Today's song carries a feeling many of us recognize—not
necessarily because of its story, but because of its emotion.
There are seasons when you can sense the weight of everything
you've been carrying. You feel the tension building, the exhaustion settling
in, and the quiet hope that something is about to change. That emotional
atmosphere is what this song captures so powerfully.
As caregivers, parents, and people walking through difficult
seasons, we often hold far more inside than anyone realizes. We keep showing
up. We keep putting one foot in front of the other. We keep waiting for relief,
for breakthrough, for a moment when we can finally breathe a little deeper.
If you listen to this song today, don't focus only on the
lyrics. Pay attention to the emotion. Let it remind you that bottled-up
feelings eventually need somewhere safe to go. Cry if you need to. Pray if you
need to. Sit quietly if that's what your soul is asking for.
God already knows the emotions we haven't found words for yet.
He meets us there.
🌷 Final
Thoughts
Thank you for letting me be honest today.
Sometimes this blog celebrates joy.
Sometimes it celebrates healing.
And sometimes it simply tells the truth.
Today was one of those days.
If you're in a season where everything feels heavier than
usual, I hope these words remind you that your feelings don't make you weak.
They make you real.
Keep showing up.
Keep loving.
Keep resting whenever you can.
And when your strength feels like it's has reached its limit,
remember that God's strength has never depended on yours.
The season you're in will not last forever.
Just like summer eventually gives way to autumn, difficult
chapters also come to an end.
Until then, keep choosing hope one day at a time.
I'm walking this journey too.
And somehow, together, we'll keep rising.
With love and gratitude,
Angel 🤍
Founder, AMC Rise and Thrive
🌐 Support
This Space
If this reflection encouraged your heart, brought you comfort,
or reminded you that you are not walking alone, thank you for spending this
time with me.
Every post shared through AMC Rise and Thrive is
created with the hope of offering faith-filled encouragement, honest
reflection, and gentle reminders that light can still be found, even in
difficult seasons.
If you'd like to help support this ministry of encouragement,
you are welcome to do so here:
🤍 Support
AMC Rise and Thrive
https://ko-fi.com/G2G61TI051
Your kindness helps make it possible for me to continue
creating meaningful content for this community. Whether through your support,
your prayers, or simply by reading and sharing these reflections, you are part
of this journey.
If today's message spoke to your heart, consider sharing it
with someone who may need these words. You never know how God may use a simple
act of sharing to reach someone at just the right moment.
And if you're looking for more encouragement, take some time
to explore the archive. Sometimes the message we need most is the one we
weren't expecting to find.
Trust God's timing. We cannot force what He is preparing. Our
calling is to remain faithful, open-hearted, and willing to receive His
guidance, one step at a time.
Thank you for being here. Truly. 🤍
#AMCRiseAndThrive #SpecialNeedsParenting
#FaithThroughTheStorm #CaregiverLife #HopeInHardSeasons
Explore more: AMC Rise and Thrive | Chakra Quiz | Subscribe | Calendar | Label Guide | Playlist
New pages AMC
Rise and Thrive Top 20
Discover
the 20 most-loved and most-viewed posts from AMC Rise and Thrive. These reader
favorites offer inspiration, encouragement, spiritual reflection, and practical
wisdom for every stage of life's journey.
Explore
the wisdom of the equinoxes and solstices with reflections on light, balance, growth,
release, and renewal throughout the year.
One Full Year of AMC Rise and Thrive
Visit the
complete collection of monthly reflections, offering inspiration,
encouragement, and guidance for every month of the year.
Discover
the spiritual themes and lessons of each zodiac season through soulful
reflections designed to inspire growth and self-awareness.


Comments
Post a Comment