When Life Tries to Break You: Finding Strength in the Struggle


When Life Tries to Break You: Finding Strength in the Struggle

By Angel, Founder of AMC Rise and Thrive


Welcome the Reader

Come on in for a minute. 🤍

Pull up a chair, take a breath, and let yourself settle into this moment.

There are seasons in life when everything feels heavier than it should. You wake up already tired. You carry responsibilities nobody else can see. You try to keep moving, even when part of you is quietly asking, How much more am I supposed to take?

Maybe you've had one of those seasons.

Maybe you're in one right now.

And if you are, I want you to know something before we go any further:

You are not weak because this has been hard.

Sometimes we become so accustomed to being strong that we forget strength doesn't mean never feeling tired. It doesn't mean never crying. It doesn't mean pretending something didn't hurt.

Sometimes strength looks like admitting, This really affected me.

And then, somehow, finding the courage to take another step.

So today, let's talk about those moments when life seems determined to break us—and what might happen when, instead of allowing those experiences to define us, we allow God to use them to deepen us.

Not because every painful thing was sent by God.

Not because suffering is something we should simply accept without question.

But because even in circumstances we never would have chosen, God can still meet us there and help us become more than what tried to defeat us. 🌱


Have you ever gone through something that made you wonder, Why does it feel like the whole world is against me?

Maybe you were overlooked.

Maybe somebody underestimated you.

Maybe you were made to feel like an outsider when all you wanted was to belong.

Maybe you tried to do something meaningful and someone convinced you that you weren't good enough.

Maybe you kept getting knocked down by circumstances you didn't create.

And after a while, you begin to question yourself.

Am I the problem?

Why does everything have to be so difficult for me?

When am I finally going to catch a break?

There is something exhausting about repeatedly having to prove to yourself that you can keep going.

We often celebrate the person who "made it through," but we don't always talk about the nights they spent wondering whether they could.

We see the person standing.

We don't always see how many times they crawled.

And sometimes the hardest part isn't the struggle itself.

It's what the struggle whispers to us.

"You're not enough."

"You're always going to be behind."

"Nobody sees you."

"Nobody believes in you."

"Maybe you should just give up."

Those voices can become powerful when we're already tired.

But what if the story isn't finished?

What if falling isn't the end?

What if being overlooked doesn't mean you're insignificant?

What if being an outsider for a season doesn't mean you have nowhere to belong?

And what if the thing you thought was proof of your weakness becomes part of the story that reveals your strength?


🌱 Understanding the Struggle

When we go through difficult seasons, our minds naturally search for meaning.

We want to understand why.

Why did this happen?

Why me?

Why now?

Why couldn't things have been easier?

Those questions are human. There is nothing wrong with asking them.

In fact, sometimes asking honest questions is part of healing.

The danger comes when we turn our unanswered questions into negative conclusions about ourselves.

A difficult experience can make you feel powerless, even when you aren't.

Repeated rejection can make you believe you aren't worthy.

Being ignored can make you question whether your voice matters.

Failure can make you believe you're a failure.

But those are two very different things.

You can experience failure without becoming a failure.

You can experience rejection without becoming unworthy.

You can feel lost without actually being without direction.

You can have a season where your voice isn't being heard without losing the value of what you have to say.

This is why emotional exhaustion can be so deceptive.

When you're tired enough, everything begins to look permanent.

A difficult season starts feeling like your entire life.

But seasons change.

People change.

Circumstances change.

And sometimes, most importantly, we change.

There are experiences that stretch us because they force us to discover parts of ourselves we didn't know were there.

Patience we didn't know we possessed.

Courage we didn't think we had.

Boundaries we were afraid to establish.

Faith we hadn't learned how to practice yet.

And resilience that could only develop because life gave us something we had to rise through.

But I want to make one thing very clear:

Growing through hardship does not mean you have to remain in harmful situations.

There is a difference between perseverance and refusing to recognize when something needs to end.

Sometimes the faithful thing is to keep going.

Sometimes the faithful thing is to walk away.

Sometimes strength means enduring the difficult assignment.

Sometimes strength means saying, This is no longer healthy for me.

Discernment matters.

God does not require us to prove our strength by allowing ourselves to be continually mistreated.

The goal isn't simply to withstand everything.

The goal is to become wise enough to recognize what the experience is teaching you—and courageous enough to respond accordingly.


🌿 Personal Story & Life Experience

I've been in places where I felt like life was asking more from me than I had to give.

There have been moments when I felt like an outsider.

Moments when I questioned whether my voice mattered.

Moments when I looked around and wondered why something that seemed so simple for other people felt like such a mountain for me.

And if I'm being honest, there were times when I didn't feel strong at all.

I felt tired.

I felt frustrated.

I felt like I was constantly having to push through another obstacle.

But something began to change in me as I moved through those experiences.

I realized that I had been measuring strength incorrectly.

I thought being strong meant never falling apart.

I thought strength meant having the perfect answer.

I thought strength meant always knowing what to do next.

But life taught me something different.

Sometimes strength is crying and getting back up.

Sometimes strength is admitting you don't know what comes next and trusting God anyway.

Sometimes strength is taking a break so you can continue.

Sometimes strength is saying, I don't understand this, but I refuse to let it destroy who I am.

Looking back, I can see that some of the experiences I once wanted desperately to escape became teachers.

Not because I enjoyed them.

Not because I believe everything happens for a reason in the simplistic way we sometimes say it.

But because I chose to learn from what happened.

There is power in that choice.

You may not get to choose every circumstance.

But you can begin choosing what those circumstances are allowed to produce within you.

And that realization changed something for me.

I stopped asking only, Why is this happening to me?

I started asking:

What can I learn here?

What is this revealing about me?

What needs to grow?

What needs to heal?

Where is God asking me to trust Him differently?

Those questions didn't magically remove the struggle.

But they gave the struggle somewhere to go.


Finding Spiritual Perspective

There is a beautiful mystery in the way growth often happens.

A seed doesn't look impressive when it's buried.

From the surface, it appears to have disappeared.

But underneath the soil, something is happening.

Roots are forming.

Preparation is taking place.

The seed is becoming something it couldn't have become while remaining untouched.

Sometimes our lives feel like that.

Buried.

Hidden.

Uncertain.

We may look at a season and think, Nothing is happening.

But what if something is?

What if God is strengthening something beneath the surface?

What if your character is developing?

What if your discernment is becoming sharper?

What if your compassion is deepening?

What if you're learning to stop depending on everyone's approval?

What if you're finally discovering that your worth doesn't rise and fall according to somebody else's opinion?

What if the closed door is teaching you patience?

What if the rejection is teaching you resilience?

What if the waiting is teaching you trust?

And what if the struggle is revealing a strength that comfort never could?

That doesn't mean we should romanticize pain.

Pain hurts.

Loss is painful.

Disappointment is painful.

Being misunderstood is painful.

We don't need to call something beautiful simply because we survived it.

Sometimes it was ugly.

Sometimes it was unfair.

Sometimes we deserved better.

But God can take even the pieces of a difficult chapter and help us build wisdom from them.

That is where I find hope.

The enemy of your peace doesn't get to write the final chapter simply because it wounded you in an earlier one.

Your past can explain you without controlling you.

Your scars can testify without becoming your identity.

And your hardest season can become part of your testimony without becoming the definition of your life.

You may feel like an outsider right now.

You may feel like nobody is listening.

You may feel like you are crawling while everyone else seems to be flying.

But don't confuse your current position with your final destination.

Sometimes you are simply in the middle.

And the middle is not the end. 🌿


🚶 Walking Forward

So what do we do when life feels like it is trying to break us?

We start smaller than we think.

You don't have to figure out your entire life tonight.

You don't have to know exactly where this road ends.

You don't have to become a completely different person tomorrow morning.

Start with today.

Take the next faithful step.

Maybe that means getting out of bed.

Maybe it means making the phone call you've been avoiding.

Maybe it means setting a boundary.

Maybe it means asking for help.

Maybe it means returning to something you abandoned because somebody convinced you that you couldn't do it.

Maybe it means resting.

Maybe it means praying.

Maybe it means finally admitting that something hurts.

Strength isn't always dramatic.

Sometimes strength is incredibly ordinary.

Drink the water.

Take the walk.

Write the page.

Say the prayer.

Make the appointment.

Turn off the phone.

Have the difficult conversation.

Close the door.

Open the new one.

And when you fall short, don't turn one difficult day into a judgment about your entire future.

Give yourself room to begin again.

One of the greatest lessons I've learned is that perseverance doesn't have to be loud.

You don't have to announce every battle you're fighting.

You don't have to prove your resilience to everyone.

Sometimes your greatest victory is simply waking up and deciding:

I am still here.

And if you're still here, there is still possibility.

There is still room for healing.

There is still room for growth.

There is still room for God to move.

Keep going—but go wisely.

Keep your heart open, but keep your boundaries intact.

Keep believing, but don't ignore reality.

Keep praying, but also take the step that's in front of you.

Faith isn't always knowing what will happen.

Sometimes faith is trusting God enough to take one more step without knowing.


️ Gentle Reflection

Before you move on with your day, sit with these questions for a moment.

You don't have to answer them perfectly. Let them simply open a conversation between your heart and God. 🙏

1.      What difficult experience has made me stronger in ways I didn't recognize at first?

2.     Have I mistaken something that happened to me for a definition of who I am?

3.     Is there something I'm being called to persevere through—or something I'm being called to release?

4.     Where might God be developing something within me that I cannot yet see?

5.     What is one faithful step I can take from where I am today?

Sit quietly with that last question.

Not ten steps.

Not twenty.

Just one.

Sometimes that's all grace asks us to see.


🙏 Affirmations

Say these slowly. Let them settle into your spirit. 🤍

I am stronger than the circumstances that tried to define me.

I can grow without allowing pain to harden my heart.

God is with me, even when I cannot see the way forward.

I trust myself to take the next wise and faithful step.

My story is still being written.


📖 Bible Verse

“For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again.”
Proverbs 24:16, KJV

I love the honesty of this verse.

It doesn't say the righteous person never falls.

It says they rise again.

There is something deeply comforting about that distinction.

Sometimes we think spiritual maturity means we should stop struggling. We imagine that if our faith were stronger, we wouldn't stumble, cry, doubt, become exhausted, or need to begin again.

But Scripture gives us a different picture.

Falling isn't presented as the end of the story.

Rising is.

That doesn't mean we have to rush ourselves through grief or pretend we're okay when we're not. Rising can take time.

Sometimes rising means rebuilding.

Sometimes it means resting.

Sometimes it means asking for help.

Sometimes it means forgiving yourself for not knowing then what you know now.

And sometimes rising means simply refusing to believe that your lowest moment gets the final word.

God is not asking you to prove that you are invincible.

He is inviting you to remember that you do not have to walk through your weakness alone.

So, if you've fallen, breathe.

If you've been hurt, be honest.

If you've lost your way, ask for direction.

And when you're ready, rise.

Not because you were never broken.

But because brokenness does not have to be the end of your story.


🎵 Song of the Day

 “Break Me” by Samantha Leah

🎧 Listen here

Today's song feels like a natural companion to this message because it captures the emotional journey from feeling different, overlooked, criticized, and defeated to discovering an inner determination to rise.

The song reflects the experience of feeling like the world has already decided what you're capable of. It touches on childhood wounds, comparison, rejection, and the painful effect that somebody else's words can have on our dreams.

One particularly meaningful thread is the movement from falling and feeling defeated toward crawling, rising, winning, and flying.

That progression matters.

Because sometimes resilience doesn't look like soaring right away.

Sometimes it looks like crawling.

And there is no shame in that.

The song also carries the idea that challenges can become something we climb rather than something that permanently holds us down.

I think many of us can relate to that.

There may have been people who underestimated you.

There may have been moments when somebody's opinion made you question your own potential.

There may even be dreams you abandoned because someone told you, directly or indirectly, that you weren't capable of them.

But perhaps that chapter doesn't have to remain closed.

Listen to the song today and think about your own journey.

Think about the younger version of you who may have believed every negative word spoken over your life.

Then look at who you are now.

You may not be where you want to be yet.

But you're here.

You're still becoming.

And perhaps that's the reminder you needed today:

They may have tried to break your spirit, but they don't get to decide what you become. 🎶🤍


🌼Final Thoughts

My friend, if life has been heavy lately, I hope you give yourself permission to breathe.

You don't have to pretend it hasn't hurt.

You don't have to turn every wound into a lesson before you're ready.

And you certainly don't have to prove your strength by carrying everything alone.

Let yourself be human.

Let yourself rest.

Let yourself cry.

Let yourself pray.

And when the time comes, let yourself rise.

There may be parts of your story that you still don't understand.

That's okay.

God can work in chapters we don't yet know how to read.

So, keep your heart open.

Keep your faith close.

Keep walking with wisdom.

And remember that the person you are becoming may require you to leave behind the version of yourself that believed you had to live according to everyone else's expectations.

You are allowed to grow.

You are allowed to change.

You are allowed to discover that you are capable of more than you once believed.

And if today all you can do is take one small step, let that be enough.

One step is still movement.

One prayer is still connection.

One breath is still life.

One beginning is still a beginning.

May God give you courage when the road is difficult, wisdom when you don't know which direction to take, peace when you cannot control the outcome, and strength that doesn't come from pretending you're unbreakable—but from knowing that even when life knocks you down, you can rise again. 🤍

With love and gratitude,

Angel 🤍

AMC Rise and Thrive


🤍 Support This Space

If today's reflection encouraged your heart, strengthened your faith, or reminded you that you're not walking this journey alone, thank you for spending part of your day here.

If you'd like to help this space continue growing, you're welcome to support AMC Rise and Thrive through Ko-fi. Every contribution helps me continue creating faith-centered reflections, spiritual encouragement, and messages of hope for this beautiful community.

There is never any pressure—your presence here is already a gift, and I truly appreciate each and every one of you.

Support AMC Rise and Thrive 🤍

Support AMC Rise and Thrive on Ko-fi

If this message resonated with you, consider sharing it with someone who may need these words today. You never know how God may use a simple act of kindness to encourage another heart.

Keep trusting His timing. We can't rush what He is preparing, but we can remain open, faithful, and willing to walk where He leads.


#AMCRiseAndThrive #FaithAndHealing #SpiritualGrowth #Resilience #TrustGod

Explore more: AMC Rise and Thrive | Chakra Quiz | Subscribe | Calendar | Label Guide | Playlist

New pages AMC Rise and Thrive Top 20

Discover the 20 most-loved and most-viewed posts from AMC Rise and Thrive. These reader favorites offer inspiration, encouragement, spiritual reflection, and practical wisdom for every stage of life's journey.

The Sacred Seasons Collection

Explore the wisdom of the equinoxes and solstices with reflections on light, balance, growth, release, and renewal throughout the year.

One Full Year of AMC Rise and Thrive

Visit the complete collection of monthly reflections, offering inspiration, encouragement, and guidance for every month of the year.

The Zodiac Wisdom Collection

Discover the spiritual themes and lessons of each zodiac season through soulful reflections designed to inspire growth and self-awareness.

 

Comments