Sometimes You Just Need to Get Away: Making Room for Family, Rest & Celebration
Sometimes You Just Need to Get Away: Making Room for Family, Rest & Celebration
By Angel, Founder of AMC Rise and Thrive
🌅 Welcome,
Friend
Well...
We're back in Florida. 🌴☀️
And I know what some of you may be thinking:
“Wait a minute. Weren't you just in Florida?”
Yes.
Yes, we were. 😂
But there is a little story behind that.
Our trip in April was actually making up for a trip we had
postponed from last year. So while it may look like we've been traveling back
and forth to Florida a lot, there was a reason for the timing.
And this trip feels different.
Not because Florida suddenly became more beautiful.
Not because the weather magically became perfect.
And definitely not because traveling with a family is always
relaxing. 😂
This trip feels different because of what had to happen
before we could leave.
There was waiting.
There were appointments.
There were tests.
There were plans that couldn't quite become plans because I
was waiting for that one very important thing:
the green light.
And when it finally came, I realized just how much I had been
holding my breath.
Sometimes we don't realize how tense we've been until we
finally have permission to exhale.
💛
Sometimes the Hardest Part Is Waiting
My mom started her cell therapy back in May and June, and
honestly, it has been a lot.
There have been appointments, tests, medications, procedures,
questions, schedules, and a whole lot of uncertainty.
So when she finally passed her 100-day milestone and her
doctors said she was doing well enough that she could watch the dogs while we
left town, that was huge.
Her doctors are really happy with her test results.
And for that, I am incredibly grateful. 🙏🏽
But here's the thing about waiting for medical clearance:
You don't really get to plan normally.
You can think about the trip.
You can look at prices.
You can make lists.
You can mentally pack your suitcase.
You can start preparing the house.
But until the doctors say, “Yes, you're good to go,”
everything still feels tentative.
And I had been wanting to plan this trip.
Badly.
I was already planning as if we were going.
I was getting the house ready.
I was checking prices.
I was figuring out logistics.
But every time I asked about when I could really move forward,
there was another test.
Then another.
Then another.
My son kept asking me about the trip.
And all I could say was:
“After this test.”
Then it became:
“After another test.”
And eventually, the doctors wanted me to wait until the 18th.
I remember thinking:
Oh, hell no.
😂
Not because I didn't understand why they were being careful.
I absolutely did.
But I also needed time.
I had a lot to coordinate.
I needed to figure out our trip, schedule my mom's
appointments, arrange her return flight, make sure she had all of her
medications, contact the school, prepare everything at home, and make sure
everybody knew what was happening.
I needed time to breathe.
And I realized something:
For a long time, other people's schedules had dictated most of
mine.
This time, once I had the green light, I wasn't going to spend
another week waiting around if I could help it.
I was ready.
🌱 When
You've Been Carrying Too Much for Too Long
I think sometimes we underestimate what constant
responsibility does to us.
It's not always one huge thing that exhausts us.
Sometimes it's the accumulation.
The appointments.
The phone calls.
The planning.
The waiting.
The medication schedules.
The transportation.
The school communication.
The household responsibilities.
The things you remember because nobody else remembers them.
The things you have to think about before they become
problems.
And then someone asks:
“Are you tired?”
And you're like...
Tired?
I have been tired since approximately 2019. 😂
There is a special kind of exhaustion that comes from always
being the person who has to think ahead.
You aren't simply living today.
You're thinking about tomorrow.
And next week.
And the appointment after that.
And what happens if this happens.
And what happens if that doesn't happen.
So when I finally got the green light for this trip, I think
part of me didn't just hear:
“You can go to Florida.”
I heard:
“You can step away for a minute.”
And sometimes we desperately need that.
Not because we don't love our responsibilities.
Not because we want to escape our lives.
But because even the people who hold everything together need
somewhere to put the weight down.
🌿
Preparing to Leave
Once I knew we were actually going, things moved quickly.
I got the car taken care of.
I started packing.
I made lists.
And honestly, leading up to the trip, I was exhausted.
But I knew that preparing ahead of time would make the actual
travel day easier.
So we loaded most of the car the night before.
I did my nails.
I finished the things that needed to be done.
I tried to make the morning as simple as possible.
And that little bit of preparation made a difference.
Because when you are already tired, every little thing you can
take off your future plate matters.
Then morning came.
We got up.
Finished the last-minute things.
Got gas.
And realized we needed air in one of the tires.
Okay.
Fine.
We could handle that.
Then we discovered something else.
My son had left his phone at home.
Now, here's the funny part.
It was packed.
I had checked it off my checklist.
In my mind, the phone was in the car.
Done.
Except he had apparently taken it out without me knowing.
So...
Back home we went.
😂
And this is where I had to practice something I have been
talking about a lot lately:
Not every inconvenience deserves an emotional
reaction.
The phone was at the house.
We knew where it was.
Nothing terrible had happened.
We went back.
Got it.
And left again.
No meltdown.
No dramatic speech.
No “We're never going anywhere again!”
Just:
Okay. Let's go.
Sometimes peace looks remarkably ordinary.
🚗 The
Journey Doesn't Have to Be Perfect
The road trip itself was a little different this time.
We missed our exit more than once.
But nobody panicked.
We weren't rushing.
We had left early enough that we had room for mistakes.
And that made a huge difference.
There wasn't the same pressure to make every mile perfect.
We didn't have to race the clock.
We didn't have to worry about being late.
We weren't dealing with a ridiculous amount of traffic.
We just kept going.
And honestly, I think there is a lesson in that.
Sometimes we make life harder because we leave ourselves no
room for things to go wrong.
We schedule everything so tightly that one missed exit becomes
a crisis.
One delay ruins the day.
One unexpected stop makes us feel like everything is falling
apart.
But what if we built a little breathing room into our lives?
What if we stopped expecting everything to go perfectly?
What if missing an exit was just...
missing an exit?
You turn around.
You find another route.
You keep going.
That's life too.
🏡 Arriving
Is Sometimes the Beginning of the Rest
We finally made it to town.
We unloaded.
We unpacked.
And then we headed to the stores.
We always buy food for most of the trip because eating out for
every meal gets expensive quickly.
There is something satisfying about having a stocked
refrigerator when you arrive somewhere.
You know you're covered.
You don't have to immediately figure out where everybody is
going to eat.
You can make sandwiches.
Grab something from the refrigerator.
Make breakfast.
Keep it simple.
And after everything it took to get there, simple sounded
pretty good.
Then something happened that told me exactly how tired I was.
We were driving back, and apparently, somewhere in the middle
of a conversation, I passed out.
Not intentionally.
Not planned.
I simply fell asleep.
I didn't even realize it until my husband woke me up.
That's when I knew:
My body had been waiting for this moment.
My son and husband went for a walk on the beach while I stayed
behind and made sandwiches for dinner.
After that drive, I wasn't about to start preparing some
elaborate meal.
Sandwiches were perfect.
Simple.
Easy.
Done.
And finally...
I got to take a shower.
Then I went to bed.
And I slept for eleven hours straight.
No alarms.
No dogs needing to be let outside.
No rushing.
No appointments.
No getting everybody ready.
No immediate responsibility waiting for me.
Just sleep.
And let me tell you...
That sleep was a blessing. 😴🤍
✨ Rest Is
Not Something You Have to Earn
I think we sometimes treat rest like a reward.
I'll rest after I finish this.
I'll rest when everything is handled.
I'll rest when everybody else is okay.
I'll rest when the house is clean.
I'll rest when the appointments are over.
I'll rest when...
And there is always another thing.
But what if rest isn't something we have to earn?
What if rest is part of taking care of ourselves?
Our bodies keep score.
Our minds notice.
Our spirits notice.
Sometimes exhaustion is our body's way of saying:
“I need you to stop.”
And sometimes we don't stop until life gives us a place where
stopping becomes unavoidable.
That eleven-hour sleep wasn't laziness.
It wasn't wasted time.
It was restoration.
It was my body finally getting an opportunity to catch up with
everything I had been asking it to carry.
There is nothing selfish about needing rest.
There is nothing weak about sleeping.
There is nothing unproductive about sitting still.
Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is allow
yourself to recover.
🎂 Making
Room for Celebration
And now that we're here, there's another beautiful part of
this trip.
My son's birthday is coming up.
This will actually be the first time we've been in Florida for
his birthday.
So I am preparing.
I already ordered his cake.
I still need decorations.
I need balloons.
I need to wrap presents.
There are still things to do.
But this time, the preparation feels different.
It's not preparation for an appointment.
It's not preparation for a test.
It's not preparation for something stressful.
It's preparation for joy.
And after everything we've been carrying, I think that
deserves to be acknowledged.
Sometimes we get so accustomed to managing problems that we
forget to make room for celebration.
We remember the appointments.
We remember the medications.
We remember the deadlines.
We remember what needs fixing.
But we also need to remember the birthdays.
The beach walks.
The family dinners.
The laughter.
The cake.
The little moments that become the memories we carry for
years.
My son is getting older.
And I want to celebrate that.
Not because everything in life is perfect.
But because there is still so much worth celebrating.
🌿 What If
Gratitude Is Found in the Ordinary?
I'm grateful that my mom's doctors are happy with her test
results.
I'm grateful she reached her 100-day milestone.
I'm grateful we got the green light to leave town.
I'm grateful we made it safely to Florida.
I'm grateful for a husband who can wake me up when I
apparently fall asleep mid-conversation. 😂
I'm grateful for my son.
I'm grateful for his birthday.
I'm grateful for eleven hours of uninterrupted sleep.
I'm grateful for the opportunity to step away from the usual
routine.
None of those things are necessarily dramatic.
But life is made up of these moments.
We don't have to wait for something enormous to happen before
we allow ourselves to feel grateful.
Sometimes gratitude sounds like:
“Thank You, God, for letting me sleep.”
Sometimes it sounds like:
“Thank You for good test results.”
Sometimes it sounds like:
“Thank You for getting us here safely.”
Sometimes it sounds like:
“Thank You for another year with my child.”
And sometimes gratitude is simply sitting somewhere beautiful
and realizing:
I am here.
Not planning.
Not worrying.
Not waiting for the next phone call.
Just here.
🚶 Walking
Forward
Maybe you are in a season where you've been waiting for your
own green light.
Maybe you're waiting for an answer.
Waiting for a decision.
Waiting for a test result.
Waiting for circumstances to change.
Waiting for permission to move forward.
If that's you, I hope you remember something:
Waiting does not mean nothing is happening.
There are things being prepared behind the scenes.
And when the door finally opens, you may need to be ready to
walk through it.
In the meantime, prepare where you can.
Make your lists.
Ask your questions.
Handle what is in your hands.
Take care of your responsibilities.
But don't forget to live while you're waiting.
And when the opportunity comes to rest, rest.
When there is something worth celebrating, celebrate.
When family is gathered together, be present.
When your child is growing another year older, take the
pictures.
Eat the cake.
Laugh at the balloons.
Enjoy the moment.
Life isn't only about getting through the difficult seasons.
It is also about recognizing when you have reached a moment
where you can finally breathe.
❤️ Gentle
Reflection
Take a few quiet minutes today and think about these
questions:
- What
have I been waiting for that has been keeping me mentally “on hold”?
- Where
might I need to give myself permission to rest?
- Am I
making enough room for celebration and joy in my life?
- What
ordinary blessing am I overlooking because I am focused on the next thing?
- Who
do I want to be more present with while I have the opportunity?
Take these questions into prayer.
Sometimes God doesn't need us to do more.
Sometimes He simply wants us to notice what is already in
front of us.
🙏
Affirmations
I give myself permission to rest without guilt.
I trust God's timing even when I am waiting.
I recognize and celebrate the blessings in my life.
I make room for joy alongside responsibility.
I am present for the moments that matter.
📖 Bible
Verse
Ecclesiastes 3:13 (KJV)
“And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the
good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.”
I love how simple this is.
There is work.
There is effort.
There are responsibilities.
But there is also enjoyment.
Sometimes we can become so focused on surviving that we forget
we're allowed to enjoy the life we're working so hard to maintain.
God doesn't only meet us in the difficult moments.
He is also present in the laughter.
The meal.
The birthday cake.
The family gathering.
The peaceful night of sleep.
The moment when you realize your loved one is doing well.
The trip you weren't sure you'd get to take.
Those moments matter.
So when something good comes your way, don't immediately start
worrying about what comes next.
Pause.
Receive it.
Thank God for it.
Enjoy it.
You don't have to apologize for being happy when life gives
you something worth celebrating.
Sometimes joy is part of the blessing too.
🎵 Song of the Day
🎵 “Good Life” — Kanye West feat. T-Pain
I chose “Good Life” for
today's Song of the Day because sometimes we get so caught up in everything we
have to manage that we forget to recognize when we're actually living a good
moment.
And I'm not talking
about a perfect life.
Because let's be
honest—life is never perfect.
There will always be
bills, appointments, responsibilities, unexpected problems, long days, and
things that don't go according to plan.
But there are also
moments when you can look around and say:
“You know what? Life is
good right now.”
Maybe it's because your
family is together.
Maybe it's because
someone you love received good news.
Maybe it's because you
finally got some much-needed rest.
Maybe it's because
you're sitting somewhere beautiful with nowhere you have to be for the next few
hours.
Maybe it's a birthday
you're getting ready to celebrate.
Sometimes the good life
isn't about having everything you want.
It's about recognizing
what you already have.
For me, this trip has
been a reminder of that.
After months of
appointments, waiting, planning, caregiving, and constantly having something
that needed my attention, being able to step away and spend time with my family
feels like a gift.
And that eleven-hour
sleep?
Baby, that was part of
the good life too. 😂
So listen to the song
and let yourself think about what your good life looks like.
Not somebody else's
version.
Not what social media
tells you it should look like.
Yours.
Maybe your good life is
simple.
Maybe it's family.
Maybe it's peace.
Maybe it's having enough
time to sit down and enjoy your coffee while it's still hot.
Maybe it's watching your
child grow.
Maybe it's getting good
news after a long season of uncertainty.
Maybe it's simply waking
up and realizing you have another day to experience.
Whatever it looks like,
don't be so busy chasing the next thing that you forget to appreciate what is
already here.
Sometimes we don't need
more.
Sometimes we just need
to pause long enough to realize:
This moment is pretty
good.
And if life gives you a
reason to celebrate?
Celebrate it.
Put on some music.
Eat the cake.
Take the pictures.
Laugh with your people.
Enjoy the trip.
Take the nap.
Be present.
Because life isn't only
about getting through the hard seasons.
It's also about
recognizing the beautiful moments that make all that perseverance worth it. 🤍
🌼 Final
Thoughts
This trip is still young.
There are birthdays to celebrate.
There are decorations to buy.
There are balloons to find.
There is family time ahead.
There will probably be some unexpected moments too because
apparently life doesn't believe in giving us completely predictable vacations. 😂
But I'm grateful.
I'm grateful for the green light.
I'm grateful for my mom's good test results.
I'm grateful that she reached her 100-day milestone.
I'm grateful that we were able to leave town.
I'm grateful for my family.
And I'm grateful for rest.
Sometimes we don't realize how badly we need a break until
we're finally allowed to take one.
So wherever you are this week, I hope you find a little space
to breathe.
If you have family nearby, spend some time with them.
If you have something worth celebrating, celebrate it.
If your body is asking for rest, listen.
If life has given you a good moment, don't rush past it trying
to prepare for the next one.
And if you're still waiting for your green light, keep
preparing—but don't forget to live while you're waiting.
There will always be another appointment.
Another task.
Another responsibility.
Another thing on the list.
But there won't always be this exact moment.
This exact birthday.
This exact family gathering.
This exact opportunity to sit down and breathe.
So take the picture.
Eat the cake.
Take the nap.
Walk on the beach.
Laugh with your family.
Thank God for the good news.
And let yourself enjoy the good that is here.
May God give you the wisdom to know when to keep pushing and
when to rest, the patience to trust the things that require waiting, and the
heart to recognize the blessings that are already surrounding you.
And when the green light finally comes?
Go enjoy your life. 🌴🤍
With love and gratitude,
Angel 🤍
AMC Rise and Thrive
🤍 Support
This Space
If today's reflection encouraged your heart, strengthened your
faith, or reminded you that you're not walking this journey alone, thank you
for spending part of your day here.
If you'd like to help this space continue growing, you're
welcome to support AMC Rise and Thrive through Ko-fi. Every contribution helps
me continue creating faith-centered reflections, spiritual encouragement, and
messages of hope for this beautiful community.
There is never any pressure—your presence here is already a
gift, and I truly appreciate each and every one of you.
Support AMC Rise and Thrive 🤍
Support
AMC Rise and Thrive on Ko-fi
If this message resonated with you, consider sharing it with
someone who may need these words today. You never know how God may use a simple
act of kindness to encourage another heart.
Keep trusting His timing. We can't rush what He is preparing,
but we can remain open, faithful, and willing to walk where He leads.
#AMCRiseAndThrive #FaithAndSpirituality #RestAndBalance
#FamilyAndConnection #Gratitude



Comments
Post a Comment